Veneers are thin layers of porcelain or composite placed over the teeth. They are used to correct several dental problems and are part of cosmetic dentistry. One of the most common uses of veneers is when enamel of the teeth gets worn out or discolored due to genetic or natural factors.
The Various Types of Porcelain Veneers:
- Veneers are available in two types – porcelain and composite. Composite veneers are created from composite resin. This material is used for filling up gaps between teeth to make them appear whole again. The treatment is performed by dental experts and can be completed in a single appointment.
- Porcelain veneers on the other hand are made by laboratory technicians from the teeth impression of a patient. Once porcelain is made, the veneer is attached to the problem teeth to finish off the whole process.
Porcelain veneers are recommended and preferred by dentists because of their higher resistance to discoloration and stains as well as their resemblance to natural teeth. On the other hand, however, resins require lesser tooth surface and are a lot thinner than porcelain.
Here are some questions everyone must ask before going for veneers:
Can veneers fix my present dental problems?
Dental experts have been making use of veneers to fix misshapen, broken, stained, and even unrequited dental gaps. However, if you are planning to use veneers as a reasonable fix for a particular issue you have been having with your teeth, you have to consult your dentist first. Though veneers can fix most cases of misaligned or misshapen teeth, there are certain cases where you have to go for specialized surgery or braces.
How is porcelain veneer made?
There are mainly two ways by which porcelain veneers are created. Some dentists work with veneers that are standard and can fit almost every one with a bit of tweaking. The other veneers are custom veneers that are made to fit your teeth specifically. The latter is more comfortable, durable, and easier for a dentist to install. Consequentially, custom-made veneers are what one needs to get. They might be costlier, but are an investment which is worth the money.
Who will place porcelain veneers on my teeth?
Do not let someone who’s not a licensed practitioner to work on your teeth. This is because badly fitted veneers or veneers created out of materials that are not supposed to be utilized for creating them, can damage the teeth permanently. It will seem like a very good bargain initially, but un-qualified doctors who use low quality veneers can create damage that will take thousands of dollars to repair. Always look for well educated, experienced dentists to do your work – including veneers.
How to decide whether you need veneers?
Here are a few questions you must ask yourself to decide if veneers are right choice for you:
1. Do you feel there is a need to alter the look of your teeth permanently?
2. Do you want the results to show immediately?
3. Would you like to change the color of your teeth?
4. Would you like to close gaps between your teeth?
5. Do you have chipped or broken front teeth?
6. Would you like your teeth to look more even?
If you’ve answered any of the questions with a ‘yes’ then veneers may be a great choice for you. However, it is important to consult a qualified dentist to know for sure if your mouth can undergo this treatment.